Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Pirate Theme for Preschool - My Town Treasure Hunt

One of the favorite themes my children enjoy is the pirate theme for preschool. This is a theme you can use to teach any topic you wish--colors, directions, letters, counting, reasoning, etc.

Thanks to one of my readers for sending the idea below for an incredible, town-wide Treasure Hunt.

My Town Treasure Hunt

I have used this for several years to help learn the letter X as well as help my preschoolers explore the world around them. This activity is done with their parents. It is a lot of fun. I call it "My Town Treasure Hunt."

I make up 6 or 7 clues that relate to stores or land marks in our area. At each stop they get the next clue along with a small treat or sticker. I speak with the store owners ahead of time and they are always glad to help (It is free advertising for them!)

At the last stop I give them a simple map to follow that leads them to "X marks the spot!" I put together a simple bag of things the kids can do like bubbles, playdough, crayons and a small notebook etc. I put the bags in a treasure box for them to take home.


If you like this pirate theme for preschool, check out the other ideas in the Preschool Planner.

http://www.preschoolplanner.com/thefullstory.html

There are Two Editions now for the Preschool Planner: Basic or Platinum.

Send me any ideas you would like to share and I will post them on my Blog.

Mary
marys.plans@gmail.com

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: